DES MOINES, IA (April 8, 2015) — The Iowa Credit Union Foundation (ICUF) recently awarded $5,750 to four high school students and two college students as recipients of its Warren A. Morrow Memorial Scholarship.
Among this year’s recipients, who are pursuing postsecondary education, is Jennifer Fleege, Dupaco Community Credit Union member and University of Wisconsin - Madison student. Fleege received a scholarship in the amount of $1,000.
Other scholarship recipients included:
- $1,500 to Mallory Rettenmeier, a member of DuTrac Community Credit Union and a graduating senior at Rosary High School in Aurora, IL.
- $1,000 to Emily Zink, a member of N.W. Iowa Credit Union and a graduating senior at LeMars Community High School in LeMars, IA.
- $750 to Madison Hemer, a member of North Star Community Credit Union and a graduating senior at OA-BCIG High School in Ida Grove, IA.
- $500 to Collin Zweifel, a member of IH Mississippi Valley Credit Union and a graduating senior at Bettendorf High School in Bettendorf, IA.
- $1,000 to Christian Wright, a member of Ascentra Credit Union and a student at Luther College.
Applicants were required to complete an online entry form and answer an essay question in no more than 500 words, which was designed to encourage participants to learn about the credit union movement and its mission. This year’s question was:
Student loans are a common way to help fund college education. Upon graduation, many students are left with a huge amount of debt they need to repay. What can you do to help offset the expenses of college? How can your credit union assist?
The winners were selected out of more than 340 applicants based on originality, clarity and meaningful content among other criteria.
“The mission of the Iowa Credit Union Foundation (ICUF) is to help Iowans build wealth, responsibility and independence,” said Jaimie Miller, Executive Director, ICUF. “We do this through critical programs such as the Warren A. Morrow Scholarship. This year’s six scholarship finalists demonstrated outstanding knowledge in offsetting college expenses and we are proud to award them with funding to help support their education.”
For more information about the Warren A. Morrow Scholarship or the Iowa Credit Union Foundation, please visit www.iowacreditunionfoundation.org.
About the Iowa Credit Union Foundation
Founded in 1995 as the philanthropic arm of the Iowa Credit Union League, the Iowa Credit Union Foundation’s (ICUF) primary focus is to eliminate poverty in the state of Iowa. ICUF seeks to carry out its mission to help Iowans build wealth, responsibility and independence through its various programs, grants and scholarships. For more information, visit www.IowaCreditUnionFoundation.org.