PLEASE NOTE, Dupaco member information is and always has been secure, and there HAS NOT been a breach of Dupaco's systems.
Unfortunately, not all businesses and organizations lock down their data as tightly as Dupaco does. This sometimes results in personal and/or financial information being accessed by fraudsters.
This week The Home Depot, Inc. announced a possible data breach affecting customers whose credit and or debit cards were stolen and sold on the black market.
Information on the company's website indicates the investigation into the breach is ongoing, and states customers "will not be responsible for any possible fraudulent charges."
If you suspect your personal or financial information has been compromised or stolen, here is how you should proceed:
- Monitor your account statements. Use online banking to regularly check account activity if possible. Report any suspicious activity to Dupaco immediately.
- Set up eNotifiers through Dupaco’s Shine Online Banking to stay on top of account activity. Transaction and balance alerts, along with the eView (daily summary of all account activity) are particularly helpful in identifying potential fraud. eNotifiers can be received via text or email, and can be customized.
- Monitor your credit card statements, and medical statements to ensure there are no charges or claims that are not yours. Notify your creditors or insurance company of suspicious activity immediately.
- Contact the 3 credit reporting companies and place a fraud alert on your credit file: Equifax 1-800-525-6285; Experian 1-888-397-3742; TransUnion 1-800-680-7289.
- Monitor your credit report to ensure there hasn’t been any fraudulent credit opened in your name. Request your credit report from each of the three credit bureaus – by law, you are entitled to one free credit report from each bureau every 12 months. You can make the request via phone or online at annualcreditreport.com.
- When the organization that lost or leaked your information lets you know about the breach, they can further explain your options.
While Dupaco takes proactive measures to help deter and detect fraud on member accounts, it's essential that you monitor your credit report and financial accounts as well to protect your accounts and your good name.