Yearning for warmer days under the sun?
While a tropical vacation is tempting, there are plenty of fun ways to take a break from Mother Nature’s colder side without breaking the bank. A winter staycation lets you avoid the stress that comes with travel, learn more about your local area, save your money and still enjoy a little break from reality.
Here are five ideas to get you started:
- Visit a museum. Dupaco communities are home to some pretty great museums. Spend a day at the National Mississippi River Museum in Dubuque, where 50 of National Geographic’s greatest photographs are on display through Jan. 3, 2016. Or, check out the Grout Museum District in Waterloo, Iowa, which includes the Sullivan Brothers Iowa Veterans Museum and the Bluedorn Science Imaginarium.
- Go to a sporting event. Support your favorite local team. ’Tis the season for basketball, wrestling and hockey!
- Hit the slopes. Winter isn’t going anywhere. Why not embrace it? Go skiing or snowboarding at Sundown Mountain Resort in Dubuque or Chestnut Mountain Resort in Galena, Ill. If you’d like to enjoy winter from the comfort of the indoors, visit an indoor ice rink such as the Coral Ridge Ice Arena in Coralville, Iowa.
- Channel your artistic side. Spend some time at a paint-it-yourself pottery studio. Make an art piece for yourself, or create one-of-a-kind holiday gifts for your loved ones. Not confident in your artistic abilities? Sign up for an art class at a local art studio this winter.
- Treat yourself to a spa day. Just because it’s a staycation doesn’t mean you can’t treat yourself a little bit. Head to a local spa or salon and indulge in a manicure, massage or another relaxing service. Or, create your own spa day at home!
As you plan your winter staycation, don’t forget to check out Dupaco’s latest member events and discounts to save even more!