By Emily Kittle
Want to get away this summer without breaking the bank? You don't have to travel far to have a good time. Look to your own backyard for some inexpensive yet enjoyable travel adventures:
* Experience the Alpine Slide at Chestnut Mountain Resort in Galena, Ill. The sled carries you down 2,050 feet of track, and a lift returns you to the top. Ticket prices vary.
* The Cedar Rapids Museum of Art features everything from photographs to ceramics to the world's largest collection of works by Grant Wood. Admission is $5 or less.
* Walk through the country's largest all-volunteer arboretum: Dubuque Arboretum & Botanical Gardens. You'll see a Formal English Garden, Japanese Garden, a waterfall and more. Admission is free.
* Play a pickup game at one of the most recognizable baseball locations: the Field of Dreams Movie Site in Dyersville, Iowa. Admission is free.
* Hike on trails or have a picnic at the Mines of Spain south of Dubuque. The recreation area is located on 1,380 acres of wooded and prairie land. Admission is free.
* The National Farm Toy Museum in Dyersville, Iowa, features thousands of toys and exhibits, including tractors, farm scenes and a play area for kids. Admission is $5 or less.
For more ideas, visit the Cedar Rapids Area Convention & Visitors Bureau and the Dubuque Convention & Visitors Bureau.
What are your favorite nearby activities to do on the cheap?